The vision of the Massive Multiplayer Online Game “Antreya Chronicles Online” (or ACO for short), is that of a player-driven, sandbox world set in a Mystical, Fantasy and Steampunk-based post-apocalyptic era, on the planet Antreya.
ACO will be a MMO where player actions, lore and events dictate how the world progresses through the eras.
ACO is created to provide an experience which sets it apart from other MMOs currently on the market. The individual player experience will be unique and characters will be free to follow their own path through life. Different from other typical MMORPG games (such as WoW or Star Wars: The Old Republic), ACO is an interactive persistent experience.
ACO will facilitate thousands of players as they explore a mystical post-apocalyptic world, filled with danger and adventure. Unlike other Massive Multiplayer Online Games, however, the players will not follow set paths, but instead, decide their own course of action. Live DM teams will ensure players enjoy unpredictable adventures apart from the normal content, which further both character progression and the world. Live DM team operated events, player interaction, and player run events will add to the list of things that shape the world of Antreya. Everything that happens in the world is in one way or another in the hands of players and sometimes fate.
Players will take on roles and share responsibilities with fellow players to help shape their settlements and communities for a better future. But beware – just as players can choose where to go and how to develop, so will the world evolve in unpredictable ways, be it weather, monsters or other events that occur throughout the world of ACO.
What Antreya Chronicles Online Is Not
There are very few MMOs these days which let you tailor your character the way you want him or her to be, without being limited by classes and equipment. In our vision, a player should be able to develop their character(s) in any way they would like, with few limitations. Reality wise, it would be impossible for a character to know everything and be good at everything. Although players can choose an initial class which gives a character some starting skills and equipment, the course of character development has few limitations. Thus characters are unique and defined by their actions and achievements, be it through hard work, teachings, adventures or perhaps all.
Those who wish can further set their characters apart by using custom commissioned content from the online store to further tailor their character to their wishes. More on this will follow at a later date. In short, it will provide players the opportunity to work together with the design and game teams to tailor a custom character in appearance and skills, with the limitation of game balance. How this will work will be revealed at a later date.
Storytelling Through Live DM Teams
Actions of players and the live DM team play a critical role in how the game world evolves over time. The live DM team uses comprehensive systems to record and see everything that takes place in ACO. It enables them to react to events and record them for use in lore and other mechanics of the game.
The actions of the live DM team takes place on a small and larger scale and could be in the form of individual player quests or larger events, dictating the course and evolution of the world.
Also, environmental events can shape the world in ways never seen before.
One of our foremost design goals for Antreya Chronicles Online is to create a world which is truly evolving.
ACO takes a different course when it comes to content from most MMOs. Instead of linear quest lines, it will have some quests which are static in nature, but still react and evolve depending on how the characters and world evolve. The majority of quests are dependent on actions were taken by players or induced by the live DM team. This enables an experience unlike any other MMO. Player actions and event outcomes are recorded and used by the live DM teams to shape history and lore of ACO. Having the highest skill does not automatically make you the best. This goes for both combat and other skills. Character progression is individual and non-linear. Just as ACO changes day by day, so does its populace – be it wildlife, monsters or other things.
ACO’s game design is guided by the following principles and values:
- World First – Nothing goes into ACO that can detract from the experience of the game world of ACO.
- Everything Changes – There is little static content in ACO. The world evolves.
- Lore, Legacy and History Matter – The world changes based on the actions of the players, generating new myths and legends for the world as time passes. Several skills will question or answer a lot of these myths and in turn create new history and myths on their own.
- Time does not equal success – Playing for a long time does not make you stronger than a new player. It will give you more options. A player who is good at combat will prevail over a player who played longer but is bad at combat.
- Combat is but a part of the whole – Making a living with combat is as viable an occupation as a merchant or crafter who doesn’t know the front from the back of a sword.
- Natural character development – ACO focuses on character development not bound to classes or linear and preset paths. The player decides how characters develop over time.
- ACO will be a MMO where player actions, lore and events dictate how the world progresses through the eras.
- There will be very little static content.
- Through appearance customization, both at character creation as well as through gameplay features, we achieve a high degree of uniqueness for characters.
- Spirit beasts and deities play an important part in ACO and in character customization.
- Players and the live DM team together decide the fate of the world.
- ACO will be Oculus VR ready. Other brands will follow as fast as we can add support.
- ACO will be a Free-to-Play game (except for the special live DM servers) primarily making money through online transactions.
- ACO will use a special currency that can be purchased or earned in-game.
- Special currency can be used to buy buffs etc. that will help players.
- Special currency can be used in events and other aspects of the evolving world.
- Special currency cannot be used to purchase gear or other things to give one player an edge over another.
- Real money can be used to purchase special currency.
- Real money can be used to purchase real estate.
- Real money can be used to purchase commissioned content and events (Such as houses or ships).
- Real money can also be paid in the form of a subscription to the live DM servers, where live storytellers guide the game experience and work together with players to build custom content, fitted specifically to the state of that server’s world.