Most MMO’s offer quests and storylines which are mostly linear in nature. This often becomes very repetitive and we feel it’s one of the most important aspects which make a game fun in the long run or boring. In ACO we want to change this as much as we can. One part of the answer is using more dynamic quests and adding the ability for players to offer their own quests and rewards.
The main story line quests would be more linear, even though there might be differences in the order of the quests, depending on choices and the karma system.
The other part is the introduction of something we call the Live DM teams. Live DM is comparable to the dungeon masters of tabletop roleplaying games. Dungeon Master narrated a story and guided players through the story and ensuing battles. They were both story tellers and referees.
ACO will employ live DM teams on subscription based servers to add to the immersive feel of ACO and to provide completely random quests and events in the world of ACO. They will also work together with players when it comes to lore and the development of the ACO world. This means that world servers could develop very differently from each other.
The live DM teams will be actively involved in the main story line quests, both on an individual player’s level, settlement level as well as world level. Indeed, the main story line is not just a story for an individual, but part of much larger events.
Live DM teams will also be used in custom content events and quest which are bought by a player.
ACO will use Live DM teams to further increase the unique experience for the players. Live DM teams work together with players and player communities to bring custom content in the world. They also play a major part in the evolution of the game world.
- Customized content through player actions on small and grand level.
- The game World evolves over time, creating opportunities for new stories and new history.
- The major story lines are driven by real people and thus will never be identical.
- World servers can and will develop their own versions of history through live DM team and player actions.
- Players and Storytellers work together to create history.
- In later ages archeology will play a part in uncovering much of ACO’s history, legends and myths.